Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Korker Hair Bows

Well we are on the countdown for time for our grandbaby to arrive! Seven weeks now, that's all I have left to make all the "goodies" I have planned. Also, Douglas, my dh is going to start this week on the handmade baby bed. He has made a couple before but this one is going to be a little different...more on that soon.
I have been working on hair bows lately. And have learned how to make those cute "Korker Bows". So this is my attempt at a tutorial so that you will be able to make some korker bows also.


1. Pre-heat your oven to 200*.  Next take some grosgrain ribbon and wind it on a very, very small dow rod. Use a clothespin to fasten it to the dow rod. Wind it carefully around the rod all the way to the end. I don't cut my ribbon until I am finished winding that way there is no waste. After cutting the ribbon, fasten this end with a clothespin also.


2. Spray the rod with starch, I just used a light spray all around the rod. Let this dry for about 3-4 minutes then place on a sheet pan in a clean oven. (I lined my pan with parchment paper)

3. Bake the rods at 200* for 20 minutes. Then take out of oven and allow five minutes or so for them to cool off.


4. Gently enclose your hands around the rod and make a wringing motion in order to loosen the ribbon. Then place one hand at end of rod and use other hand to help the ribbon to slide off. If the ribbon tightens on the rod just gently roll it in the opposite direction it is wound, and it should slide off. The more you use the dow rods the easier it will get.

5. This is what your ribbon should look like in order to make your Korker Bow bouncy.

6. Now is the hard part, you will need to have about 25 pieces cut into 2.5" lengths. So bake away, and get your ribbons all curled. Then you will take your 25 pieces and lay them as evenly as possible onto a 3 inch length of thread or embroidery floss of a matching color. Tie a knot in the middle of the ribbons and ta-da there is your korker bow.

7. Now you need to decide if you want it on a headband, alligator clip, or other barrette. I used and alligator clip because I am making interchangeable bows to use with just a couple of headbands.

8. Now you know how to make those adorable Korker Bows.

3 comments:

my happy bluebird said...

Wow this is excellent! Thanks for sharing!

Keri said...

These are soooo adorable!!!! I have little girls and can't wait to try this out.

K-Sue said...

Cute, cute! I have wondered how to do these. I feel silly - I have baked yarn on knitting needles (less than 20 minutes) for doll hair; I should have realized these were "baked, too. THanks for sharing.